Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kindergarten Daily 5- Chapter 4 Read to Self

Mrs. Minner is hosting the Chapter 4 Linky Party.. hop on over and link up.

Ok, get you a cup of coffee or cold drink. This one is long again!

I know you all are laughing right now, just like I had done before I started reading this book. READ TO SELF, how in the world am I going to get my kids to read on their own, especially 5 and 6 year olds for 30 minutes. You mean they're going to sit with a book, not roll around on the rug, not talk with their friends, not get up to ask me a Million questions, and actually enjoy reading by themselves! Ok I gotta know how to do this.

I have never taught with Daily 5 before or Kindergarten, but I am up for the challenge estatic to do both of these this year. So here goes.....

What I have found out with READ TO SELF is it needs to be REVIEWED everyday, even when you think your kids got it. I'm sure your going to have some moans and groans when you say "lets review what you know about Read to Self from our I-Chart." However, I am thinking about my four year old and how she thinks she is soooo cool that she knows the information. Don't you think your students will feel like this too? Those that may not have confidence will gain confidence through this review session.

So on to the book.
Day 1- (really day 1?) Three ways to read a book: Ok, I can do this on day 1. Students love to look at new books (your books are all new to them), why not teach them they can read from day 1, even if it is for 1 minute. Ha! 
How do you get students to think they are readers? By boosting their self esteem- showing environmental print that they can read, like McDonalds sign, Walmart sign, etc.. What a great time to use that environmental print word wall.
Environmental Print for Classroom Use
Here is a cute one

Teaching how to read a book 3 ways is a great tool for any readers. Why not do this with an environmental print book. Hum, this gives me an idea for an emergent reader book, then they can go into their book boxes to practice :)
I Can Read! An Environmental Print Book
I like this... but would like to make one to tie into our sight words.
Dont forget to create those I-charts. If you are like me, I hate having a boring poster with words, I am a visualist and need pictures to remember. So may want to add one of those cute posters next to your I-chart we have all see on TPT.

Daily 5 Poster Set
I love this one from Frogs and Cupcakes

How many of you use 'looks and sounds like' in your classroom. I do this for everything. What does a line look and sound like? What does it look and sound like at the rug? What does it look and sound like while I am reading? and so on. This way all I have to say is 'looks and sounds like' and the students remember what they should be doing.
Students need a purpose (a challenge) of what they should be doing when being read to. "I want you to put your I spy eyes on and hearing ears on (yes, you may do some actions for these- screw on your eyes and ears- kids love it)  while I read JUST the pictures to you. At the end, tell me what reading the pictures looks and sounds like."
Then move on to reading the words. Have students turn and talk about the two ways they learned. Do some modeling, student modeling the correct and incorrect ways for read the pictures and read the words. Add to the I-chart what it looks and sounds like for students and what it looks and sounds like for the teacher.

I would then tie in building stamina. Get kids up and moving. Check out this great idea from Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations.

 Practice, Practice, Practice. REMEMBER to place your students in spots you want them to sit and if someone is unable to focus in his or her spot, its time to stop and check in. Teachers, sit at your table out of the way and DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT. I'm guessing it may only last about a minute or two, but I'm sure they are hyped up to try something new.

One thing I need to get better on is check-in. This is used to get student to start self reflecting on what they were doing.
 I have bought these super cute chairs from walmart to add around my room. My daughter is using them for now :) But what a fun way to get kids to want to read to self.

Day two: introduce the third way- retell a story. Add look and sounds to I-chart, model, students model correct and incorrect ways.1 minute is added to stamina.

Day three: is when they say to allow students to choose where to sit. I am a little unsure of this so soon. Those of you that have done D5, what are your thoughts?
Day six: Same but teach how to choose good-fit books. I love how they teach to choose good fit books. See chapter 3 for a run down. Here.
Note to end on- can kinders really read for 30 minutes? I'm thinking 15 minutes would be huge. I am hoping to get them to 10 minutes by the end of the second week so I can start reading groups. We are really suppose to start reading groups after 1 week, but COME ON it will be pure CAOS!

Leave me a comment of what your thoughts and ideas are. Cant wait to here.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, Thanks for linking up. Also, wanted to wish you the best of luck as you start teaching kindergarten! The beginning will be pure shock, but, just remember the end will be purely rewarding!
    Krissy
    Mrs. Miner's Monkey Business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krissy-
      I am feeling more confident after learning so much from the blogging world. Thanks for the encouraging words :)

      Delete

Nicole

Steeleteaching.blogspot.com