Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Literacy Stations Rotations

So I have tried a million different things this year with stations... well not really a million, but you get the idea. I am having a hard time with this group keeping them engaged and working on their own. Any how, I have been thinking for the last few days and just couldn't seem to figure out what I wanted to do. Went to bed last night and woke up with this great idea! Ever have those feelings like you planned everything out while you were sleeping? Weird I know.

My idea behind this was, I didn't want to put myself into a rotation in case something came up that I had to handle and students wouldn't be sitting at my table directing themselves. Plus some of my groups take longer than others and I didn't want to short change a rotation somewhere. Also how do I put the FUN back into school where they are doing more work than I am.

So here is what I came up with....

A computer rotation board so all students would get computer time every day. Of course this is their favorite. I have 5 computers in my room so I put 4 to 5 students in each group. I also chose what students went in what group based on how I met with them.
 For example I have 4 reading groups: this is the order I meet with them- Green, Yellow, Red, Blue (4-5 students in each group)
Group 1= yellow students
Group 2= green students
Group 3 = blue students
Group 4= Red students
I set a timer for 20 minutes and they play, then the next group goes over and set the timer again and so forth.

Hope your still with me. :-)

Now for the other part.
They go back and forth between seatwork and their 1 station for the day. I have some students that like to start with the worksheet or practice book pages that are seatwork and others like to go to their station to work first. Remember... I have 1 group on computer, 1 group with me so only 10 other students are working at seatwork or a station. :-) When I finish with my small reading group they go to seatwork or station until it is their computer rotation time. They know I expect them to finish both seatwork and station work.

How to decide on what station:
When my kiddos come in, they choose a literacy station they want to work at today and put the necklace on that has one of the tags below attached to it. Then they get started with morning work, etc...I have them choose in the morning because when its time for literacy stations we are ready to go and have one less thing to distract us.  I have 4 necklaces for each of my stations. I have 5 stations: Reading, Writing, Word Works, Listening, and Games.



They can only choose a station that they have not gone to yet this week. So they look at their checklist that looks like this.

They color in the square with crayon for the station necklace they choose that day. This checklist and any work they do stays in their station folder and on friday they evaluate themselves and turn it in. Then I evaluate them. 

So far this has allowed them to make choices for themselves, be responsible for work getting done, allowing them to do what they like first and most of all... working quietly. (its never really quiet in my room I like them to be able to talk, but there was a lot of great WISPER voices going on) :-)

Please let me know what you think about this or if I have completely confused you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicole

Steeleteaching.blogspot.com