Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Ways to make 5 Freebies

Last week in math I started with fluency to 5 but introduced it as ways of making 5. I saw this cute idea from The Littlest Scholars and ran with it.

 
You've got to download Jessica's other cute freebies. click below



First I just reviewed the rainbow with no number sentences. I wanted them to just remember what numbers went together before we put them into number sentences.

Then we would play a game where I would say 1 and they would say "1 and 4 makes 5". We continued on with that game. I would then cover up two numbers with my hands and they would have to tell me what two numbers go together to make 5.

At my small group table I made number cards 0-5 and they put them in order. Then we practiced whole body movement of covering the numbers with our hands and saying the numbers  (0 & 5, 1 & 4, 2& 3) then we would say them backwards (3 & 2, 4 & 1, 5 & 0). I loved how they were able to practice remembering the numbers but also saw a pattern to where they are at on a number line. Again someone would cover two numbers and we would guess whats under the hands.

We then went on to putting them into number sentences. We played memory with number sentences and "Oh, No!".



Then I made a making 5 puzzle game that I can put it into a station for students to match and write the addition sentence.

 
 
This week we will be working on the other facts to 5. Hope these freebies will work for you in :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nicole

Steeleteaching.blogspot.com